Thursday, June 20, 2013

God's promise for recovery: Isaiah 58

There was Vacation Bible School this week at my church. It's a Christian day camp for kids first through fifth grade. A couple of weeks before VBS started, I recieved some verses from Isaiah 58. Verses 7 and 8 say, "Is it not to divide your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into the house; when you see the naked, to cover him; and not to hide yourself from your own flesh? Then your light will break out like the dawn, and your recovery will speedily spring forth."

I found this promise coming true this week because I was focused on people. I soon felt the weight of despair lift, like the verse says. I had someone to help this entire week, someone on my video team who is hungry to turn their life around and follow God. I am friends with this person and was able to provide them a place to serve others. As a result this person ran with the opportunity, had a lot of fun, and blessed so many people along the way. Then I turned around from helping them and saw that my own life was better!

I'm not thinking about how things will be once life gets back to normal after VBS because I know I want to continue to help this person and others follow God. I know going forward that life won't be the mountaintop experience of VBS, but I know for sure now that this promise is true and I would be crazy not to follow how God says I can get there. I challenge you to look at your life and see where you may need recovery and give that area to God. Then ask Him who is in need that you can help. You'll be surprised by your own recovery when you focus on loving and helping others!

No comments:

Post a Comment