Sunday, July 21, 2013

Our Roles Are Vital

I love cycling. I like riding my road bike, and also enjoy professional cycling. I don't follow it as closely as I like, but I always try to watch as much of the Tour de France as I can. I was watching it the other day and was just enjoying the race but was reminded that we all have gifts God has given us and they are all equally important. I saw this through the actions of the race leader and his teammate.

The race leader, Chris Froome, was winning the Tour overall, but was struggling in the taxing mountain race I was watching. He was neck and neck with the second place rider and didn't want to give up his lead. He kept his lead that day, but couldn't have done it without his teammate Richie Porte. During the race, I could see that Richie had a lot more energy than Froome, and was even riding ahead sometimes. But he always slowed down when he realized this, and stayed right ahead of Froome. Richie could have easily gone off on his own, maybe could have even won the race. But his role was to support his teammate who was the overall leader, and he did his job very well.

The reason it was important for Richie to stick right in front of Froome was to block the wind for him and make his ride easier. Richie also went and got water for Froome at one point. Richie Porte won't be on the winner's podium at the end of the Tour de France with Chris Froome, but his role in the race as support was vital. Watching that race made me think of the verses in Romans 12:4-6 that say, "For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function, so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly."

As Christians, we all have gifts God has given us, and all are equally important to the cause of Christ. Some people are gifted preachers, some at spreading the good news to people who haven't heard it. Others are good at supporting those who are visible to the public. Others still love to give or serve those in need, and the list goes on. We are all vital parts of the body of Christ, and we all need the support of the brothers and sisters around us. It is important for me to remember that the recognition one person gets does not make him better than others. The world would say it does, but in 20 years, not many people will remember the Chris Froomes or Richie Portes of this life. 

What will endure is the effort we make for the kingdom of heaven. Lets say Chris Froome was a pastor who spoke in front of thousands and lead hundreds to Christ, and Richie Porter was his assistant. 20 years after their death, few would remember what they did, but the lives that were saved directly and indirectly from the effort of both men will be impacted for eternity. And the effort of both roles are equally important. 

This is encouraging to me as a man who is gifted as a supporter. My prayer is that God givse me spiritual eyes to know how important I am in what I do. That it doesn't matter weather I get praise or recognition from even one person my entire life. What's important is what God thinks about me. He thinks I'm awesome. He thinks we are all awesome, and He loves each of us more than we could ever know. As our Heavenly Father, He is delighted when we use our giftings to serve others, and He loves to see each of us get better and better at it. At the bottom of it is His immense love for us. "We love, because He first loved us." (1 John 4:19)

No comments:

Post a Comment